Ten Myths About Immigration—Updated!
Take a minute to read through the article, learn why the statements are false and think about how to talk to students about the realities behind each myth.
How many of these myths have you heard?
- Most immigrants are here illegally.
- It’s easy to enter the country legally. My ancestors did; why can’t immigrants today?
- Today’s immigrants don’t want to learn English.
- Immigrants take good jobs from U.S. citizens.
- “The worst” people from other countries are coming to the United States and bringing crime and violence.
- Undocumented immigrants don’t pay taxes and burden the national economy.
- The United States is being overrun by immigrants like never before.
- We can stop undocumented immigrants coming to the United States by building a wall along the border with Mexico.
- Banning immigrants and refugees from majority-Muslim countries will protect the United States from terrorists.
- Refugees are not screened before entering the United States.